Get Help & Support for Employers
It can be daunting to start conversations on mental health in the workplace, and to feel confident signposting colleagues to relevant resources.
As an employer and manager it is key that you are supported when supporting colleagues who are experiencing mental health difficulties.
This support comes through having knowledge of and easy access to a variety of support services and resources in Leeds you can confidently direct colleagues towards.
Useful links and services for employers
- If an employee is experiencing emotional distress or mental health difficulties, encourage them to make an appointment with their GP. We understand this can be a difficult but resources such as the ‘Doc Ready‘ app can be useful.
- If an employee would like access to talking therapies they can refer themselves to IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies). Therapies on offer include guided self-help, stress and mood management, one-to-one cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and other psychotherapeutic approaches.
- A peer support service is offered by Leeds Mind specifically for people who are in employment. Courses include Being Well at Work (a 10 week programme focused on enabling people to improve their wellness at work).
- Mindwell is the mental health website for people in Leeds. It brings together information from the NHS, Leeds City Council and the third sector into one single ‘go to’ place. Mindwell provides quick and easy access to up-to-date information for all adults in Leeds, including professionals.
- If an employee is feeling highly distressed and in crisis, request an assessment with the Crisis Assessment Service by calling 0300 300 1485 (open 24/7).
For further links to useful services:
How to take a positive approach
- Talk to the Mindful Employer Coordinator for advice and guidance
- Sign the Mindful Employer Charter to demonstrate your commitment
- Access mental health related training and wellbeing initiatives to develop staff skills and confidence
- Join the Mindful Employer Leeds Network to connect with organisations and share good practice
- View the national MINDFUL EMPLOYER website for advice and resources such as the Line Manager’s Resource
- Start a wellbeing working group or stress-reduction focus group in the workplace
- Explore the 10 Steps Employer Toolkit, a step by step guide on how to create mentally healthy workplaces
- Display posters and resources which promote positive attitudes to mental health and reduce stigma
- Signpost staff to valuable resources such as Mindwell